Wednesday 30 November 2016

THE GIRL WITH NO EARS?

(NOTE: THe little girl in the picture above is NOT the little girl without ears I once knew so many years ago. She just represents her).

“They have ears, but they cannot hear” 
(Psalm 115:6, NASB).


Many years ago, when I was a young boy of around 8 or 9 years old, I was admitted into the hospital for sick children in Ontario, to undergo a serious operation on my kidneys. I remember being self-conscious around other children my age in regards to my missing thumb on my left hand. I remember one day while playing in the children’s toy room, which was rather large from what I can remember. There I frequently talked with and played with other sick children. Then one day, a couple of little girls I haven't seen before, roughly around my age, came into the play room. Feeling a little self-conscious, I hid my left hand in my pant pocket. I was feeling a little depressed that day as I thought about my missing thumb and the fights I would get into with other kids who would mock me, and remind me of my missing body part, which usually would erupt into a fight. Anyway, a girl who was a couple years older than me noticed I was sad. She was familiar with me coming to the play room each day. She new the arguments and fights that sometimes would happen over the fact I had no left thumb. So after enquiring about why I was sad, she introduced me to a beautiful dark haired girl who had come in with the other girls I hadn't seen before. The older girl told me my missing thumb was only a minor disability. She then said "try getting through life deaf and having no ears." Then she drew my attention to the pretty little girl with us, and said she was deaf and had a birth defect where she had no ears.  Funny how people who are deaf, or have no ears like this little girl can hear the needs of others far better than those of us who have ears and can hear. How true are the words of the psalmist, “They have ears, but they cannot hear” (Psalm 115:6, NASB). Often we can be just like these dumb idols.

No comments:

Post a Comment