Tuesday 28 August 2012

Peter Teaches us Three Lessons...


NOTE: Here is an old Journal entry dated, Wednesday February 3, 2010, Entry: 164 in my Journal "Not by Bread Alone" that I thought would be of some encouragement and worth publishing as a post here on my blog page.
           
 Been thinking about my need to be consistent in keeping my focus on Christ in my meditations; yet, how often I find the thoughts of my heart wandering on my personal struggles or other things of lesser importance. This reminds me of Peter in Matthew 14:29 when he got out of the boat where the other disciples were safely perched. He actually began walking on the water with his eyes fixed on Christ, until he allowed the storm around him to lose his focus on Christ. That is when he began to be afraid and started to sink beneath the waves. Peter allowed his fear of the storm around him to rob him of his focus of faith on Christ. Often, we give Peter a hard time for his lack of faith, but are we really any different than he? Here are some positive points about Peter that I observe in this scene: (1.) Peter desired to be with the Lord Jesus, even if it meant facing the boisterous storm to be with Him. That took Great conflict. (2.) While the other disciples stayed in the comfort of the boat, Peter alone left the boat. That took Great courage. (3.) Peter recognized that despite the fierceness of the storm around him, he realized the Lord was with him in the storm. That took Great confidence. Yes, the Lord Jesus had to rescue Peter from the water due to his lack of faith. But let us give him credit for at least being the only one with the faith and courage enough to step out of the boat and face the storm with Jesus.

Lord, that is my problem, my focus is too much on my circumstances that surrounds me, when my focus needs to be on You. I need to learn not to allow such difficult circumstances to distract my focus on Christ. To be distracted from You, is to sink beneath the waves of troubles; however, to keep my focus on You, is to walk on the waves of trials. For it is there amidst the storm—You meet me there.  Lord, thank you for both Peter’s failure and faith. In Christ’s most precious name I humbly pray. Amen.

Some lines from Robert Robinson’s poem are quite fitting here.



Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,

Bind my wandering heart to Thee.

Prone to wander, Lord I feel it,

Prone to leave the God I love;

Take my heart, O take and seal it,

Seal it for Thy courts above.[1]



[1] John MacArthur,  Daily Readings from the Life of Christ: Vol.2, (Moody Publishers, Chicago, 2009), pg.39.

No comments:

Post a Comment